Smoking is the single biggest cause of fire deaths in the UK. If you smoke it is important you take care when extinguishing your smoking materials.
Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully. Put them out, right out.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Use a proper ashtray – never a wastepaper basket.
- Make sure your ashtray can’t tip over and is made of a material that won’t burn.
- Don’t leave a lit cigarette, cigar or pipe lying around. They can easily fall over and start a fire.
- Take extra care if you smoke when you’re tired, taking prescription drugs, or if you’ve been drinking. You might fall asleep and set your bed or sofa on fire.
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children. Consider buying child resistant lighters and matchboxes.