Smoking is the single biggest cause of fire deaths in the UK. If you smoke it is important you take care when extinguishing your smoking materials.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Use a proper ashtray – never a wastepaper basket.
- Make sure your ashtray can’t tip over and is made of a material that won’t burn.
- Don’t leave a lit cigarette, cigar or pipe lying around. They can easily fall over and start a fire.
- Take extra care if you smoke when you’re tired, taking prescription drugs, or if you’ve been drinking. You might fall asleep and set your bed or sofa on fire.
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children. Consider buying child resistant lighters and matchboxes.