How to cook safely
Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and sauce pan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
- Take extra care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
- Make sure saucepan handles don't stick out - so they don't get knocked off the stove.
- Take care if you're wearing loose clothing - it can easily catch fire.
- Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
- Spark devices are safer than matches or lighters to light gas cookers, because they don't have a naked flame.
- Double check the cooker is off when you've finished cooking.
Deep fat frying
- Take care when cooking with hot oil - it sets alight easily.
- Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn't splash.
- If the oil starts to smoke - it's too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
- Use a thermostatically controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can't overheat.
- Buy your air fryer from a reputable supplier and make sure to read reviews before you buy.
- Register your appliance's guarantee if it has one to make sure you receive recall notifications.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidance and only use your air fryer as directed. This means using it on a hard surface, and NEVER putting oil or other prohibited substances in the fryer.
- Clean your air fryer regularly to avoid dangerous fat, grease or oils building up.
- Never leave it on when you go out or go to sleep.
- Always check that it's off when you're finished.
What to do if a pan catches fire
- Don't take any risks. Turn off the heat if it's safe to do so. Never throw water over it.
- Don't tackle the fire yourself.
- Get out, stay out, and call 999.
Take care with electrics
Don't put anything metal in the microwave
- Keep electrics (leads and appliances) away from water.
- Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
- Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
- Don't put anything metal in the microwave.