What to do if there is a fire
If you do have a fire, stay calm and follow the steps below:
- Don’t tackle a fire by yourself. Leave it to the fire and rescue service.
- Keep calm and act quickly, get everyone out of the property as soon as possible. Don’t waste time investigating what has happened or rescuing valuables.
- If there is smoke, keep low down where the air is clearer.
- Before you open a door, check if it’s warm. If it is, don’t open it – fire is on the other side.
- Get out and stay out. Call 999 as soon as you’re clear of the building. 999 calls are free and firefighters will be on the scene in just a few minutes.
What to do if your clothes catch fire
- Don’t run around, you’ll make the flames worse.
- Lie down and roll around. It makes it harder for the fire to spread.
- Smother the flames with a heavy material, like a coat or blanket.
- Remember, Stop, Drop and Roll!