Before you go to bed
Before you go to bed at night there are some simple steps you can take to protect your home from fire. Follow the steps below to keep you and your family safe.
- Close all internal doors to stop a fire from spreading.
- Turn off and unplug all electrical appliances, unless they are designed to be left on – like your freezer.
- Check your cooker is turned off.
- Don’t leave the washing machine, dishwasher or tumble drier on.
- Turn heaters off and put up fireguards.
- Fully extinguish candles and cigarettes properly.
- Make sure all exits are kept clear. Keep door and window keys where everyone can find them.