If the electricity fails
- Keep a battery operated light or torch handy in the event of a power cut or failure.
- If you have to use candles or matches, always take special care. Put them out completely before leaving the room or going to bed.
- Use a snuffer or a spoon to put out the candles. It's safer than blowing them out when sparks can fly.
- Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder away from materials that may catch fire - like curtains.
- Keep a mobile phone handy so you can still make an emergency call if there is a power cut.