Being out and about in the countryside can be very enjoyable. However, it is important you make sure you don’t leave any rubbish or barbecue remains around which could start a fire.
- Avoid open fires in the the countryside. Always have them in safe, designated areas.
- Put out cigarettes and other smoking materials properly before you leave your vehicle.
- Don't leave bottles or glass in woodlands. Sunlight shining through glass can start a fire. Take them home or put them in a waste or recycling bin.
- If you see a fire in the countryside, report it immediately.
- Don't attempt to tackle fires that can't be put out with a bucket of water - leave the area as soon as possible.
- Never throw a cigarette out of a car window - it could start a fire and ruin surrounding countryside.
- The Countryside Code contains further advice. For more information visit www.countrysideaccess.gov.uk