Here are some safety tips to consider if you have sight difficulties:
- Put a coloured sticker on your smoke alarm if you have trouble seeing it to test it, or ask your local fire and rescue service if they can provide a coloured cover.
- Consider fitting bump-ons (also known as plastic blisters) to appliances as a way of making sure they are switched off properly.
- Check electrical leads regularly by touch. If they are frayed or faulty don’t plug them in or switch them on.
- If electrical items are giving off a burning smell turn them off and unplug them immediately.
- You may also want to consider placing a tactile indicator along your escape route to make it easier to find the exit.