All requests are processed by the Data Protection Team, as they are considered on a case by case basis and must be dealt with in accordance with the current Data Protection legislation, Freedom of Information Act (FoIA) 2000, and Information Commissioner (ICO) and Home Office codes of practice.
In order for us to consider your request, please note the following:
- You must be able to show proof of your entitlement to the data to give us a legal reason to provide it. This proof of entitlement should include any letter of authority and, if you are acting on behalf of someone, the data subject’s identification.
- If you have a Data Request Form which states your legal reasons for obtaining the data, please provide us with this or we will send you our own form to complete.
- Include as much information as possible about the event you are interested in, such as location, date, time, and descriptions of any vehicles, property or individuals (which may include a photo of the individual).
- We only consider release of data to law enforcement agencies, third party insurance companies, or official/legal representatives for the data subject concerned (solicitor, doctor, etc.) who have policies and procedures for the secure handling of personal data. This is because we need to ensure the integrity and security of any data we choose to share with a third party, in accordance with the ICO and Home Office codes of practice.
- Any request that involves a potential insurance claim against the Service will be passed on to our insurance providers, and they will deal directly with the other party’s insurers.
- If we see any unlawful activity in footage we view as a result of a request, we will immediately inform the appropriate law enforcement agency.
- Requests will be processed and responded to in writing within 20 working days, however we will provide a response sooner where possible.
- Any data we provide will be sent on an encrypted USB stick or by using a secure email, data portal, or file share system. Any data collected in person must be signed for.
- The Data Protection Team keep all correspondence for the current financial year, plus 3 years.