One man dies as more floods hits region

A fire engine leaving a station in response to an emergencyOne man died as heavy rain and wind once again swept through the region over the past 24 hours.

Just before 21.00hrs last night emergency services were alerted to reports of a vehicle in water at Pilgrims Way, Chew Stoke.

Fire crews arrived and several members of the swift water rescue team, based at Bedminster Fire Station, went into the water and recovered a man from the vehicle.

Paramedics administered CPR and he was put into an ambulance but pronounced dead.

The coroner has been informed and there will be a full investigation into the circumstances.

Avon Fire & Rescue Service received its first weather-related calls at around 15.30hrs yesterday.

It was the wind, rather than rain, which caused the early problems, with several reports of trees falling onto roads in the Avon area, and of damage to property.

The first flood-related call came shortly after 18.00hrs, and between then and just after 01.00hrs this morning, there were nearly 60 flood-related incidents that we were alerted too, some of which resulted in multiple calls being made to the service.

Many of those incidents related to properties being affected by flood water.

The Bath and North East Somerset area seemed to be particularly affected, with multiple flooding calls to parts of Keynsham and surrounding areas.

In Tintagel Close, Keynsham, rainwater running off of playing fields was starting to flood several homes.

Fire crews used pumps and other equipment to redirect the water into nearby drains, and were detained the scene for nearly an hour.

There were also several calls relating to people in vehicles in flood water. 

Four people were rescued from a van trapped in up to four feet of water in Blackrock Lane, Publow, Pensford, at around 19.10hrs.

Members of the swift water rescue team used a water raft to help rescue him.

A woman who was trapped in her car was assisted out of flood water by firefighters in Old Gloucester Road, Hambrook shortly before 19.30hrs.

At 19.45hrs, crews responded to reports of two people trapped in a car in flood water at Hollowbrook Lane, Knowle Hill, Chew Magna.

Firefighters pushed that vehicle to safety.

Two people were rescued from a Volkswagen vehicle in flood water on Wick Road, between Bishop Sutton and West Harptree, shortly after 20.00hrs.

There was also an incident in Mount Road, Lansdown where a retaining wall had collapsed in the very early hours of this morning.

Several homes were evacuated as a precaution.

There remains standing water on the roads throughout the region and Avon Fire & Rescue Service is advising people to consider whether or not any planned journeys today are essential, and if so, to monitor local radio for the latest and most up-to-date travel and weather information, and to exercise extreme caution on the roads.