61% of fires start in the kitchen - reduce your risk today
- Wednesday, 24 May 2023 08:00
Avon Fire & Rescue Service (AF&RS) annual data reveals that 61% of fires in homes were started in the kitchen in 2022/23 in our local area.
With over half of fires starting in one of the most used rooms in every home, the Service is encouraging residents to seek personalised advice using a free online tool. The online Home Fire Safety Check takes only 15 minutes to complete and will give anyone who completes it advice unique to their home that ultimately, could save lives.
AF&RS Prevention Manager Nikki Rice said: "It's easy to enjoy cooking more safely with a little planning and awareness of the biggest risks.
"One of the best ways to stay safe is to get advice that is unique to the set up of your home and the people living in it. With our online Home Fire Safety Check, we can be sure that you are getting the advice you need specifically for your home.
"It may seem like another chore, but taking the 15 minutes to complete the check will play a huge part in keeping your home safe for you and your loved ones."
The new online tool, developed through a partnership between the National Fire Chiefs Council and Safelincs, is designed to be used by local people from the comfort of their own home to check for unknown fire risks.
How does it work?
- You'll be asked a series of questions that will help us work out the level of risk in your home, or the home of someone you care for.
- You can skip questions if you don't want to answer them, or don't know the answer - but this could make our advice less accurate.
- We'll give you advice depending on your answers, such as installing a smoke alarm on each floor of your home.
- After you've assessed each room in the home, we'll give you steps to take based on the information you've provided.
- If you provide your personal information, we may contact you to offer you a free Home Fire Safety Visit from one of our crews, or we may post you further information about how to keep your home safe.