- Friday, 18 February 2022 15:34
Today (18 February) Avon Fire & Rescue Service (AF&RS) have taken over 140 calls of incidents across the area.
Firefighters from stations across Bristol, Bath and North East Somerset, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire have worked with partner agencies to rescue residents and visitors from trapped cars, made hazardous structures safe and removed trees from the roadway to keep local people safe.
Although the Storm Eunice winds have slowed down, the impact of the storm remains. AF&RS are encouraging residents to follow key safety messaging as our communities deal with ongoing strong winds, loss of power and damage to their homes or local area.
After a storm:
- Avoid touching any electrical cables or telephone masts that may have been blown down or damaged in the storm.
- Do not walk under or near structures that may have been weakened such as scaffolding, fences, trees and unstable walks/buildings.
- Check in with neighbours, particularly if they are vulnerable, to ensure they are safe and well.
In the event of a power cut:
- Call your local Electricity Operator by dialling 105. They are responsible for maintaining your electricity supplies, so will be able to help you.
- Use battery-operated torches and lights where possible and locate spare batteries for these.
- We don’t suggest real candles, but if you do use them make sure candles are secured in a proper holder away from materials that may catch fire, such as curtains or other loose material.
- Take care when using matches or lighters, do not leave them unattended. Put them out completely before leaving the room or going to bed.
- If you’re using portable heaters to stay warm, don’t place them too close to people or furniture, make sure you’re safe.
- Don’t use barbeques or open fires inside your living space for cooking.
- Turn off expensive or sensitive electrical devices. Power surges during electricity outages can damage your devices, so unplug them at the mains to keep them safe.
Please call 999 if there is an immediate risk to life or property. We are here to help.